Courses and sections work together in Canvas. Sections help subdivide students within a course and offer section-specific options such as varied due dates for assignments, discussions, and quizzes. Sections can also be used to create student groups.
Think of the Course as the location where students will:
- access course content
- interact with the instructor
- interact with other students
Sections are groups of students created to manage administrative differences within the course. Each section still has access to the content within the course as well as the instructor and other students. However, the Sections allows the instructor to:
- Manage different instructional timelines
- Vary assignment due dates by Section
- View/Manage grades by Section
- Assign TAs or Facilitators to specific Sections for grading
At the Geisel School of Medicine, Sections will likely be used to:
- Manage Clerkship Rotations
- Manage OnDoctoring Facilitator Groups
- Manage Small Group discussions
To learn more about Sections, feel free to view the Course Settings Video and the Sections Tutorials on this page.
Course Settings Video
Skip to 3:46 to watch the portion of the video on Sections.