Step 1 is all about learning how to navigate Canvas.The URL for Canvas at Dartmouth is https://canvas.dartmouth.edu.
The Canvas Video Tutorial will step you through both the:
- Course Interface
The Dashboard is the first page you see when you log into Canvas. The Dashboard provides a global view of all of the courses you have in Canvas. The Dashboard consists of 3 main components:
- Course Card View (toggle position to the left)
- Global Stream View (toggle position to the right)
- Global Navigation
Once you enter a course from the Dashboard, you will be presented with the Course Interface. The course interface consists of 4 main components:
- Course Navigation – The course navigation menu provides links to help you design course content. You may hide or reorder these links to simplify your course navigation.
Note: Click the List icon above the Course Navigation to hide it. Click it again to show the navigation. This is a helpful tool for mobile devices and for increasing screen space.
- Content Area – This is where the content of the course will appear. The appearance of this area changes depending on what area of the course is being viewed.
- Breadcrumb Navigation – This area shows your current location within a course and allows you to easily move to a previous screen.
- Sidebar – This area is dynamic and will change depending on where you are in the course. It often provides tools and resources to help you build and manage your course
Course building steps
Click on the buttons below to access information on building courses in Canvas.