In the Files section of the course, it is possible to create a folder for each area of content covered in the course to which files can be added.
- Files can be organized by folders.
- Files can include .pdf, .doc, .ppt, etc as well as uploaded media and images.
- Students can download files en bulk from Files.
- Setting lock/unlock dates at either the folder or the file level can control file availability.
- Assessment and communication tools cannot be linked to from within Files, thus other Canvas tools/menu items would need to be available in the course menu
- In general, using folders within Files is
- a good practice for content organization
- not a good, stand-alone, design model
The example in the image below is based on the Year 1 and 2 organization schema of Topics for Quiz.
These tutorials cover Files management. For information about delivering files to students within the course, proceed to Step 3: Add Content.